Senior Accountant @ Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty
FLSA: Exempt/Overtime Ineligible
Hours Per Week: 40/Full-time
Met Council is America’s largest Jewish charity dedicated to serving the needy. Met Council’s ten different departments are staffed by experts who helped over 305,000 clients in 2020 and continuously advocate on behalf of all needy New Yorkers. Our holistic programs range from 100% affordable housing at 20 locations to our award-winning family violence program to comprehensive Holocaust survivor assistance to senior programming to crisis intervention to the largest free kosher food distribution program in the world. Our network of 101 food pantries, 20 affordable housing sites, and 15 JCCs provide services directly in neighborhoods across New York.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for the timely entry and review of financial information to ensure the accuracy of reports prepared for Management.
• Review, analyze and reconcile general ledger accounts monthly as assigned by Controller, including but not limited to:
• Maintain and update Fixed Asset schedule and make necessary depreciation journal entries monthly
• Reconciles Prepaid Insurance and Prepaid Expenses
• Maintains the monthly closing checklist
• Prepares monthly allocation of fringe benefit costs
• Assists the Controller with the monthly/annual financial close process including the preparation of financial statements and reports
• Reconciles all subsidiary ledgers to the general ledger monthly to ensure completeness.
• Reviews the trial balance monthly for inconsistencies and research/resolves all anomalies.
• Review all JCC ledgers and prepare monthly invoices to ensure appropriate receipt of payments
• Responsible for generating periodic reports to management as requested
• Assist the Controller on JCC financial and programmatic audits
• Prepare reports and schedules as requested for the annual audit/programmatic audits
• Assist in Preparation of Annual 990 Report
• Meet all deadlines both internal and external
• Any other requests from the CFO or Controller
• Problem Solving and attention to detail
• Adaptability and flexibility
• Computer and Customer Service Skills
• Decision making and judgment
• Analysis and Reasoning
• Accountability and Dependability
Skill and Education:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
• Minimum 3 Years Accounting Experience
• Experience in MIP or similar accounting system
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
To apply, visit the Met Council website: http://metcouncil.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-openings.php?search=true